Choosing a Roofing Company as a Homeowner 101
Choosing an expert, respectable, genuine, and customer-focused roofing company is not only important: it is essential! Whether your roof requires minor repairs or a complete replacement, finding someone who meets and exceeds these standards is a must!
There are several things you’ll want to keep in mind as a new homeowner while you compare roofing contractors and eventually decide which one is worthy of your trust to help you make a rewarding decision — and avoid a regretting one.
Do You Need A Professional Contractor?
There’s no denying that doing the work yourself can seem enticing. You may think you’ll be able to get it done for cheaper and in less time. The truth is, roofing companies can stay within your budget and know about the materials needed.
They also have the experience of working on roofs and fixing specific issues. Because your roof is such an important part of your home, it’s not something you’d want to attempt yourself. Professionals are here for a reason!
Have a Clear Budget
Professional roofers will cooperate with you to stay within your budget, but the top roofing contractors will not cut corners by using lower-quality materials. Quality materials may cost more upfront, but they last longer, preventing you from having to tackle another roofing renovation anytime soon, saving you money in the long term.
Also keep in mind that the cost is determined by a variety of elements, like the size and intricacy of the roof, its slope, and the amount of garbage that must be removed, among others.
Are you considering hiring a local roofing contractor? It’s a smart option for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that the workers live and play in the same neighborhood as you, and they care about their community. You’ll also have plenty of samples of their work to look at before deciding to hire them, and because you’re local, they’ll be more likely to fit you into their schedule.
Tips to Narrow Your List
If you found a list of contractors you’re interested in working with, here are a handful of handy tips to make it even easier to find the perfect match!
- Look for a fixed address, a phone number, a tax identification number, and, if necessary, a business license.
- Examine the roofing contractor’s credentials to check if he or she is fully licensed and bonded. Some states require particular licensing, while others do not. This information will be available from your state’s Department of Professional Regulation or Licensing Board.
- Look for a firm that has an established track record and can provide client references as well as a list of completed projects.
- Request a detailed, written proposal, which should include detailed descriptions of the work and requirements, as well as estimated start and end times and payment terms.
- Inquire about the contractor’s project management and quality-control methods. Obtain the names of the people in charge of the operation, as well as the number of personnel needed and the projected completion time.
- Check with your local Better Business Bureau or Department of Professional Regulation to see whether the contractor has been the subject of any complaints.
How to Find a Qualified Roofing Company
One of the first things you should do is make a list of contractors and roofing companies that you’d like to interview for the job. Most people end up having two to four companies on the list.
Your goal is to get this list down to one roofing business that you’re confident will perform incredible work within your budget in a timely manner. This is why it’s essential to know the right questions to ask when choosing a roofing company as a homeowner. Here’s what we suggest inquiring about to ensure you get the best person available for the job!
Will They Explain What They Plan to Do?
So that you can make informed selections, the roofer should give you a detailed description of the complete roofing system and how all of the elements operate together.
Does the Company Offer Insurance Coverage?
To help safeguard your house from accidental harm, your roofer should be insured. Avoid hiring anyone that isn’t, as they’re a risk to your wallet!
Are They Following the Manufacturer’s Instructions?
Even roofing companies should be following manufacturer’s instructions. Without doing so, things could go wrong pretty quickly and it could result in your warranty being voided.
Is There an Additional Warranty Available?
Your roofer will be able to provide you with a limited warranty that covers labor. Your roofing contractor should go over your warranty with you and make it obvious who to contact if you have an issue.
Find out if items like shingles are replaced once damaged at a prorated cost or if you’d have to pay for a full replacement. You’ll also want to know if there are additional labor charges if you end up using the warranty.
What Materials Will Be Used for My Roof?
Because not all roofing materials are created equal, make sure your roofer uses a reputable brand of materials. You are welcome to approve or ask to see the materials ahead of time.
Will There Be a Final Inspection?
Just like when you buy a house, an inspection can let you know if there’s any additional work that needs to be done. When a construction company finishes their work on your roof, it’s a good idea to know whether or not they’ll be performing a final inspection.
What to Watch Out For
Getting work done on your roof is an expensive job. Your roof is an essential part of your house that should be treated as such. You want to avoid hiring someone that will waste your time, money, and leave you with more work to be done. These are red flags to look out for when finding a roofing company for your home.
- Wanting a large deposit
- Trying to encourage you to sign a contract right away.
- Roofers that aren’t in high demand.
- Companies without insurance coverage.
- People with poor communication skills
- Non-local businesses
- Companies without client reviews or poor reviews.
- Roofers who keep information regarding subcontractors a secret
Horizon Roofing – serving the Orange County, CA area – is your reliable local roofing contractors. We specialize in residential roofing and commercial roofing and have been in the industry for over a decade. We have excellent reviews and look forward to serving your need.
Call us on(714) 328-1967, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact us here today.